Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Inevitable, Repetitive, Wonderful Change!

Fall is coming!

Every once in awhile, a breeze laden with the scents of fall floats past me. Flowers at the end of their season. Leaves. Chimney smoke. My heart begins to race while these aromas convey the promise of the season; full-time schoolwork; corn on the cob; pumpkins so big my sons hands cannot even meet around them; final cuttings of grass; warm, comforting fires in the fireplace; cool, evening walks on the trail; musty boxes full of autumn decorations being brought into the house; thick, bulky sweaters; pumpkin spice candles; hot, hearty soups; afternoons of leaf raking. Of course, there is the occasional freeze-out, when we've left the windows open all night for the cool, fragrant air and wake up with frozen noses and toes, as well as the intermittent morning that the leaves and crisp, cool air are calling me so loudly that I cannot focus on school (that's right - I can't focus!). So the boys are released to accompany me on an excursion to the park, picnic blanket and school books in hand, to loll unhindered for the rest of the morning.

But do you want to know my favorite memory of fall? It is my second son, Micah Nathanael. You see, he was born on September 22, the day before autumn begins, and he ushered in my favorite time of year so sweetly. As I held him and nursed him those early days, my heart was full of the thankfulness that comes with a newborn child, a son; but also with those scents that I inhaled every day his first few weeks. The perfume of his baby soft hair mingled with damp oak leaves; clean baby skin mingled with the aroma of steaming coffee prepared for guests arriving to see our newest gift; soft baby breath mingled with the smell of furnace heat racing through the vents.

My heart swelled with joy and expectation those days the same as it does even now, as we enter the fall season, and Micah turns 5. The years may have flowed quickly, but as fall begins again, and I hold my big boy and bury my nose in his hair - not so baby sweet anymore, but still his own scent - I breathe it all in, and breathe out a prayer of thanksgiving to the God who created such wonderful beauty; seasons that change, but return every year, and children that change, but are mine to care for in this season of life.

Give thanks! Thank Him for the seasons, for creation, for all that has been entrusted to your keeping. His creativity and love are evident in the ground we walk upon, the hills that surround us, the trees that dwarf us, the sun that warms us, the air that sustains us, the children that love us. How can we but praise Him?

Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth! Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:1-3

Happy Birthday season, Micah!

1 fellow travelers shared:

Bekki said...

Just saw this pic randomly at the bottom of your post and oh my! Micah looks just like Eliana and Gideon! Where did Cor come from again? HA JK! Its so neat to see the big boys younger.

Related Posts with Thumbnails