Monday, March 12, 2007

Children's Book Monday


We loved this new book, and it provoked a lot of laughter (and explanations), by the end - I mean, the beginning!

The End
by David LaRochelle
Illustrated by Richard Egielski





Most books end with "...and they lived happily ever after!", but not this one! That's the way this delightful tale begins, and it's a head-scratching, epiphany-laden story from end to beginning.

Relying heavily on the pictures to tell the story, this book begins with the finale, and works the tale backwards to find out how it all began.

I really don't want to spoil it, so I will give you the highlights: there is a big bowl of lemonade, a crying dragon, a tickling knight, a tantrum-throwing giant, one hundred bunny rabbits, and a giant tomato! The story carefully outlines what sparked each event, and leaves you hanging on each page simply dying to know what happens...before!

The illustrations are just delightful, and if you look carefully at the inside front cover, the first few pages before the story "ends", the back flap and the back cover, you will see another dimension to the story that wasn't even told, but proves to be lots of fun for your kids to figure out!

For his writing exercise this week, Corban plans to write his own story, backwards! It should be really fun, and he asked me if I would post it for you all to read - so stay tuned! And invite your little ones to join in, if you like! It would take a careful thought process, and their creative minds are just ripe for a challenge like this!

Happy Reading!

For more CBM reviews, click on the graphic in the sidebar, and please visit my friend, Laura, who has begun reviewing books for toddlers!

8 fellow travelers shared:

Kelly said...

Elise,
Since I have discovered "Children's Book Monday," my wish list is growing!

Beverly said...

Welcome back, Elise. I hope that you had a restful visit with your parents! I have bever heard of this book, and can't wait to check it out. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back my friend!! Oh how I have missed you! I can't tell you the number of times I clicked on over for a dose of Elise-isms and found myself disappointed, and anxious for your return. Ahem, I am however happy you got rest!!

This book sounds very fun! I think I will put it on the wish list for sometime down the road. Emma's too young for this style but, soon enough!

And I can't wait to read Corban's story.

Delete said...

This looks like a lot of fun! I'm going to add it to my list! I reviewed fractured fairy tale books today.

Jennifer

Beka said...

It's so good to have you back, Elise! I hope you and Eliana had an enjoyable and refreshing time with your parents.
This book looks great: I'll have to check it out sometime!

Cosette said...

Missed reading your posts last week! They are always so funny and encouraging. This book sounds so fun---I don't know if Cosette is quite old enough to completely understand it yet, but who knows-I never fail to be amazed at what a two-year old can understand!!

Grafted Branch said...

Thanks for the review! I'm off to reserve it at my local library...

Christine said...

This sounds like one Colin would love! It's good to have you back!

Related Posts with Thumbnails