Monday, May 21, 2007

Children's Book Monday

God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. (I John 1:5)

We must be diligent in watching over what our children read, especially when it carries the word "allegory". First and foremost, our children should be familiar with the original tale, and in this case, that means the Bible. Our story. What we read in Christian allegory should always point back to it; it should remind the children of Jesus' story, not the other way around.

This book does so beautifully, and I'm pleased to be reviewing it for you today!



The Lightlings
by R.C. Sproul
Illustrated by Justin Gerard









A little boy named Charlie, as he is getting ready for bed, asks his mama why he is afraid of the dark. They both decide to wait until Grandpa visits to ask him the hard question.

When Grandpa hears it, he informs Charlie that not only are many people afraid of the dark, but some are also afraid of the light. And he begins to tell the tale...

The King of Light, who made the light and lived in it, created a group of people whom he called His little lightlings. He set them in a beautiful garden He had prepared for them, full of sunshine. The bright light of the sun helped everything in the garden to grow in great abundance, and it also kept everyone warm. And the lightlings loved it when the King came to visit them at the end of every day.

But one day, the lightlings decided to do what they wanted to do instead of what their King commanded. And the moment they sinned, their lights became dim, and they were filled with shame. They ran away from the King and the light as fast as they could, hiding themselves in the darkest place. And from then on, they were afraid of the light, for they knew that where the light was, the King would be, and He would see their shame.

The heart of this retelling walks hand in hand with the biblical story of redemption and Jesus, so I will let you find this book yourselves and discover the ending with your children.

Full-page color paintings fill this book - even the youngest child will delight in it. It is a much requested bedtime story around here, for it is a good truth, and the children know it. And when we are finished, always, always they want me to tell them the story of God, His creation, and Jesus. Now that is a worthy book.

I was blessed to borrow a copy of this book from my brother and sister-in-law; their two-year-old daughter adores it, and so I know it was a difficult couple of nights at their house! I'm pleased to tell you, Aaron and Dana, that I have my own copy now - thanks so much! (Evelyn, too!)

Happy Reading!

8 fellow travelers shared:

Inspiration Station said...

Now that is a book I definitely want to find. Thank you Elise for sharing such great literature with us. We just checked out a few from your past Mondays and I can't wait to share them with my children.

Stacy said...

Thank you, Elise! I just heard of this book for the first time the other day, and made a mental note to check into it. And now you're recommending it, too. Can't wait to read it!

~Stacy

Stacy said...

ps
I have to say, (again, I know) just how much I love that picture of you and your family in your sidebar! It just makes it so cozy to come over and see that... like I'm stepping into your living room and seeing the picture on your mantel or something.

:)

~Stacy

Beka said...

Wow... that sounds like a great book. I'd never heard of it until now!

Amy... said...

Would it really be a good read for my two year old guy? Sounds like a good read!

Maxine said...

Elise, I LOVE the sound of this book! I'll do my best to get a copy for my grandchildren ASAP. I'll let Bev know about it--btw, she's down sick, that's why you haven't heard from her.

EEEEMommy said...

How have I never heard of this book? It looks fabulous! I may have to order it too; I'm dubious that my library will have it.

Thanks for your prayers! It's tough to know when to accept the way God made you, and when to intervene and change it (if it can be changed). And how much expense and inconvenience is legitimate. No black or white answers...

Sherry said...

Thank you so much for the book reviews. My son and I have read several and I have enjoyed every single one you've recommended. He likes them too but since he struggles with reading it's not his favorite past time. I'm hoping that will change.

Also thank you for your words of wisdom. I've read your blog for awhile but just started blogging myself so this is the first time I've left a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails