Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent {Rend Our Hearts}

"Even now," declares the Lord,
"Return to me with all your
heart,
with fasting and weeping and
mourning."
Rend your heart
and not your garments.

Return to the Lord your God
for he is gracious and
compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in
love,
and he relents from sending calamity. ~Joel 2:12-13

The words from Joel slip into my mind dozens of times a day, and it's only been two since Lent began. How I am praying this Lent for true heart change!

I am preparing for Easter and walking these forty days with the Lord by fasting from supper, spending that time reading to my family and feasting on soul-food. The older three children have made their decisions for sacrifice this season as well, and as mama I am praying for wisdom in these days to guide them in their own heart change, even as the entire process refines and changes me.

May it be so!

Our Lenten reading:
The Book of Joel
The Story of the Cross: Stations of the Cross for Children
Meditations on the Cross (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
And we're greatly anticipating the lighting of candles on our Way of Light Wreath in a few more days...

May your souls be filled this weekend, kind friends!
Related Posts with Thumbnails