Monday, February 16, 2009

12

twelve years ago, he asked me to marry him.

he tied a ring to the ribbon-marker in a new Bible, with my married name engraved on the cover.

the ribbon-marker lay at the love chapter.

i thought those feelings in my heart that day were deep love, but really, they were not. love, yes. deep, no. i was nineteen. how could I know?

twelve years have passed.

and amidst resounding gongs and clanging cymbals (on my part), my shallow love has grown into a deep, rich, appreciative love. [i'm still working on the unconditional, unselfish part.]

because he loves me.

and I know not why. though I am thankful.


thank you for loving me, my darling. for showing me what it means, in all its beauty.
i love you.

21 fellow travelers shared:

Tracy said...

How sweet!

I've tried to explain to my engaged daughter just how little she knows about true love at this point. Sure, it's peeking its head out of the ground, but is no where near full bloom yet. Amazing isn't it?

Kate said...

I LOVE this picture!! Have "twue wuv" anniversary.

Kate said...

Beautiful. This I will read to my oldest boy... Happy Anniversary.

Kate

Katie Eagy said...

Happy Anniversary, love birds! I know it will be a special one - just look around you at all those babes!

Kristin said...

How beautiful! Isn't it wonderful how love grows with the years? And to think God loves us infinitely more!

Rebekah said...

Have a wonderful anniversary as you celebrate the gift of love that God has given you!

Mrs. S said...

Happy Anniversary!!! What a beautiful way to propose! May the Lord grant you many more sweet years.

Carrie said...

Simply beautiful.... Did you end up getting married at 19? I was engaged and married at 19, my sweet husband being 7 years older than myself. There is so much growing as a person that you do, but you do it together. I think back to the love I had for my husband at 19 and am amazed at how it has deepened.

God is good and has blessed us so much, hasn't He?!?!

Blessings,
Carrie

Christine said...

Celebrating with you your wonderful 12 years! We're coming up to 10, and honestly, I wouldn't be a newlywed again for any amount of money. There is so much more acceptance, understanding, and tenderness now than there ever was back then. How could I have known that growing together would be so rewarding and that true love means so much more after bearing life's demands and failures together. Happy Anniversary you two!!!

Kelly T said...

Happy twelve years!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Elise. I loved to hear how Kevin proposed to you! :)

I feel the same way about how much I *thought* I loved Dan when we were first married compared to how I love him now.

Hopefully, 20 years from now, I'll smile at how much more I love him than I even do today.

~Anna

P.S. I love how you often co-ordinate your music with your posts. :)

Karen said...

That is so sweet!!! And you know, I think it's great that you took the time to remember and celebrate that moment :)

Jody Blue said...

The best premarritial advice we recieved -- "love is not a warm fuzzy, Love is a Commitment". Committed and still experiencing warm fuzzies for the past 23+ years.

Bekki said...

I know why.

jenny said...

...and none of us really knows what we're talking about when we recite our wedding vows on that wonderful day, do we?

I'm thankful for the grace of God!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Dearest Elise...
You Hoopers are the most radiant people --- so good to come here and bask in the warmth of His Light.

(Delighting in all your posts -- reading and smiling and enjoying quietly in bloglines, but had to slip over here to whisper my heart-swelling thanks... just for who you all are.)

All my love to you reveling in the wonder of 12,
Ann

Hooper said...

Ahh...12. God's number for completeness. You would think that our first attempt at a "kid-less" date would have been complete too, but instead, the things we REALLY wanted to do, we couldn't. Not the right restaurant, not the used bookstore, and instead...Wal-mart?? But, now I really understand how true our love for each other is - a date like this in our first year would have caused severe angst, literal weeping and gnashing of teeth! But instead, only a few tears, and more laughs. Thank you for your love, faithfulness, and wonderful care and molding you give to our children. I love you.

Stacy said...

Congratulations, you two.

Kelly said...

Congratulations Elise! What a beautiful blessing God has given you in each other.

Wendy said...

SO sweet and I love the picture!

Jennifer said...

I think that is one of the neatest proposals I've ever heard! I'm enjoying browsing your blog today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails