Sunday, November 28, 2010

CBM {Christmas Edition}: Perfect Pairings


Christmas in the Barn
by Margaret Wise Brown
pictures by Barbara Cooney

The story of the surroundings during the birth of our Lord has never been more wondrously profound, thanks to the inimitable prose of Margaret Wise Brown and the quiet, antique drawings of Barbara Cooney. This book is an absolute Christmas favorite.

The Little Fir Tree
by Margaret Wise Brown
pictures by Barbara Cooney

This story always has me croaking my way through it- struggling to get the words past the lump in my throat. I love all of Cooney's bright pops of color on the wintry landscape; the simplicity of the lines in her work are surprisingly detailed when a closer look is taken. The story, a vaguely similar retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's tale, The Fir Tree, is a lovely picture of a father's love for his son, and I pray it finds it's way into your heart and hands this Christmas.

Happy Reading!

6 fellow travelers shared:

Mindy said...

thanks Elise!

Linda said...

I still read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." all by myself Elise. I read it to the kids when they were little, and I just love it.

Summer said...

I love Christmas in the Barn--just read it to my daughters and my 19 month old wanted to read it again. I hope you don't mind if I use your image in my own book blog--I don't have my own scanner. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Elise,

Thanks for always sharing your book finds with us! I have two that I've posted about and one is a Christmas one that engages the thoughts and senses. Title and brief synopsis is shared here:

http://mapletreeacademy.blogspot.com/2010/12/looking-for-some-new-books-to-enjoy.html

Blessings,

Erna

Amy said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked it up at the library!

Kelly said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Elise! Love the book recommendations.

Related Posts with Thumbnails